More Than 50 Years Of Combined Trial Experience In State Courts
Law Offices of Southern Arizona Crime Victim Attorneys, PLLC
Van Amburg Law Firm, PLLC

Are crime victims eligible for compensation in Arizona?

On Behalf of | Jan 14, 2022 | Blog |

When you or your immediate family members in Arizona suffer mentally, physically or financially as a result of a crime, you may be eligible for victim compensation. The amount you’ll receive will depend on the crime and the extent of your damages, among other several factors.

Eligibility for a crime victim’s compensation in Arizona

To qualify for compensation, you must meet certain conditions. They include the following:

  1. The crime must have occurred in Arizona.
  2. You need to show that you suffered economic loss as a direct result of that crime.
  3. You must be suffering from physical injury or mental distress as a result of the crime.
  4. You must report the crime within 72 hours of occurrence unless you had a good reason for the delay.
  5. You must cooperate fully with law enforcement.
  6. You must apply for the victim compensation program within two years since the discovery of the crime unless there was a good reason for the delay.

What does the victim compensation program cover in Arizona?

The amount you will receive will cover certain expenses. These are:

  • Wage loss
  • Medical costs for any injuries
  • Mental health counseling
  • Traveling to and from the hospital or any other facility you are using as well as counseling appointments
  • Crime scene cleanup
  • Funeral costs

On the other hand, the victim compensation program doesn’t cover some losses. The following are ineligible:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Property loss or repair
  • Attorney’s fees
  • Victimization for a person presently in prison
  • Expenses paid by an insurance plan, public funds or the offender

What can affect your compensation?

Arizona courts may reduce or deny crime victims’ compensation if they find that you bear some responsibility for the injuries, damages or death through intentional unlawful conduct or negligence. Also, if you did anything to provoke or aggravate the incident, you may receive reduced compensation.

In addition, if you have a collateral source such as an insurance company that covers your financial losses, the court may reduce the amount you receive. Since the compensation comes from fines and partly from the federal government, the judge can order reduced awards.

You have the right to apply for victim compensation even after receiving restitution or if a case is still pending. The two are separate, and you should always aim to get both.